As we all can see in my blog on sports and socializing are very important to me in my leisure life. There is also one aspect of my leisure activities that I have not really talked about in my blog but I did mentioned a few times. I coach basketball for the city of Saint-Laurent and also in a small elementary school located in the West Island. As a coach I've been given the opportunity to desmonstrate my values, skills, knowledge and experience based on what I have learned about basketball and my own personal social experiences. I have not really gone in depth about my coaching because I felt that I was employed and getting paid for the work. But on the other hand I am helping kids benefit and even if in a small way in some kind of leisure activity. This will actually be going on my eighth year as a coach.
For me coaching basketball and socializing have something in common because they inevitably overlap each for team unity. To become a great coach is not solely about winning every game and championship banner; it is more important to be able to develop good communication skills and team chemistry. This allows players to interact with other teams and can be used off and on court and in their regular daily interactions.
As a leisure educator, as defined in our studies, my ultimate goal is to help my players to become better basketball players and also make the learning process enjoyable. And most of all appreciate the activity in which they are involved in. I have often reminded my players, and myself as well, that we cannot win basketball games without good communication skills and chemistry and no matter how good we are or how poor we are. The key to success is the try the best we can while we are learning individually and as a whole and then together on the same page we can achieved success. The most important thing that I tell my players is to have fun and focus on their passion for the game of basketball. If they do not have those two significant feelings within them, they will definetely lose interest and motivation for the game.
Basically, all I do is pass on my knowledge and experiences to them so that they can also experience the positive rewards of the game because I see how it has helped me to become a better person in my everyday life and even gave me great satisfaction for leisure. I am happy and grateful to have the opportunity of teaching them basketball as a leisure activity. I am not the best coach and there has definetly been a few times that they have seen me angry, discouraged and yelling and even cursing in which I was not in my best behaviour. I say to myself and to them that all the achievements we gain in our lives help us deal with the challenges.
All my activities and social interactions such as being with friends, family and sports help me to relax, have fun and keep a healthy balance between my everyday life obligations. I'm certain my players will remember me not for how many games that we won but how they taught to not be afraid to try to be better players and people.
Monday, October 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Good blog summary. Expresses ideas about leisure in your life and is related to course content. 7.5/10
Post a Comment